- Incoming Kentucky Freshman Are Ready to Get StartedPosted 8 hours ago
- Poll: Which Kentucky Program Are You More Excited About?Posted 8 hours ago
- Video: 9th Grader Jayson Tatum Shines In Spring Circuit!Posted 8 hours ago
- A New 2013 Kentucky Recruiting Class VideoPosted 11 hours ago
- Video: NBA Draft prospect Nerlens Noel on the ESPN Car WashPosted 12 hours ago
- Kentucky Football RecruitingPosted 15 hours ago
- Video: Nerlens Noel Excited By Possibility Of Playing With Irving, CavaliersPosted 16 hours ago
- Nerlens Noel to Cavaliers; Goodwin to Suns in Mock DraftPosted 17 hours ago
- The Cleveland Cavaliers Win the NBA Draft LotteryPosted 1 day ago
- Nerlens Noel Ready for NBA Draft LotteryPosted 1 day ago
Women’s Golf Closes Strong, Finishes Eighth in Puerto Rico Classic
Rio Grande, Puerto Rico – The University of Kentucky’s women’s golf team finished strong on the final day of the Lady Puerto Rico Classic, equaling the third-lowest round on Tuesday with a 9-over-par, 297. The Wildcats concluded the tournament in eighth place of the 15-team field, jumping two spots on the standings from Monday. The 9-over score was the lowest of the three days for the Cats as they tallied a 54-hole total of 44-over-par, 908.
“We had a strong last round today and although we have things we need to improve upon I think we can take a lot of positives from this trip,” head coach Golda Johansson Borst said. “We need to continue to focus on what we can control and let great things happen.”
Senior Ashleigh Albrecht paced the Cats with a team-low score of even par, 72. The Murrieta, Calif., native began her round on hole 10 bogeying three of her first six holes, before responding with a birdie on No. 3 and an eagle on the fourth to get her back to even on the day. She was 1-under after a birdie on the par-5 eighth hole before bogeying her final hole of the day, No. 9. Albrecht completed the invitational as the Wildcats’ best finisher at 7-over-par, tying her for 14th overall.
Freshmen Cylia Damerau and Sarah Harris also finished strong for UK with each carding a 2-over-par, 74. Damerau sank three birdies on the front nine and finished the tournament tied for 34th at 13-over. Harris had a consistent day, recording a team-high 14 pars, while also charting a birdie and just three bogeys. The Hermitage, Ky., native was 12-over for the invitational and tied for 28th overall.
Junior Liz Breed tallied a team-best four birdies, all on the back nine to finish 5-over-par, 77 on the afternoon. She was also 12-over for the 54-holes and was tied for 28th on the leaderboard.
Megan Moir posted an 8-over-par, 80 on Tuesday and finished tied for 66th at 21-over. Senior Betsie Johnson, who played as an individual, turned in her best performance of the tournament with two birdies and just three bogeys for a 1-over-par, 73. Johnson was 16-over for the event and was tied for 45th.
Kentucky will have a month off from competition before returning to action March 15-17, at the Insperity Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate in Augusta, Ga.
For live scoring of the event please visit www.golfstat.com. For more information on the University of Kentucky women’s golf team please visit UKathletics.com.
2013 Lady Puerto Rico Classic
Feb. 10-12, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Rio Mar Beach Resort – River Course
Par 72 – 6,191 yards
T14. Ashleigh Albrecht – 74 – 77 – 72 – 223 (+7)
T28. Liz Breed – 77 – 74 – 77 – 228 (+12)
T28. Sarah Harris – 75 – 79 – 74 – 228 (+12)
T34. Cylia Damerau – 75 – 80 – 74 – 229 (+13)
T60. Megan Moir – 77 – 80 – 80 – 237 (+21)
*T45 Betsie Johnson – 77 – 82 – 73 – 232 (+16)
8. Kentucky – 301 – 310 – 297 – 908 (+44)