- Video: Derrick Ansley ProfilePosted 13 hours ago
- Cavs Beat Writer Comes to Defense of Nerlens NoelPosted 13 hours ago
- Video: UK Commit Mike Edwards, Best Class in the NationPosted 14 hours ago
- Perry Central’s Justin Johnson and Braxton Beverly Ready for the Peach JamPosted 15 hours ago
- Kentucky Football Really is #1 in Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings NowPosted 1 day ago
- Derrick Kelly Commits to Play Football at KentuckyPosted 1 day ago
- John Calipari to be Inducted into New England Basketball Hall of FamePosted 1 day ago
- Kentucky Football Adds Twins to 2014 Class by Way of TransferPosted 1 day ago
- Nerlens Noel Still Favorite to Be #1 Pick According to SI.comPosted 2 days ago
- Henry Clay’s Christen Cunningham and Jordan Green Adjusting to New RolesPosted 2 days ago
Willie Cauley-Stein Named SEC Freshman of the Week
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Freshman Willie Cauley-Stein became the fourth Kentucky player to earn a Southeastern Conference weekly award this season when he was tabbed the league’s top performing freshman it was announced on Monday morning.
Cauley-Stein became the first UK player to tally multiple double-double efforts this season with 11 points and 11 boards in a 90-38 win over Eastern Michigan on Wednesday. He was efficient from the field with a 5-for-6 day, while also contributing to a stifling defensive effort by the Cats.
The Olathe, Kan., native added two blocks and a pair of steals en route to UK limiting the Eagles to just 38 points on a .242 shooting clip. Both the point total and shooting percentage were the lowest allowed in the four-year John Calipari era.
The SEC honor is the first of Cauley-Stein’s career. He joins teammates Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress as other Freshman of the Week honorees. Sophomore Kyle Wiltjer has also earned SEC Player of the Week accolades this season.
Kentucky returns to the floor when it opens up SEC play at Vanderbilt on Thursday at 9 p.m. ET. The game will air live on ESPN.