- Video: Derrick Ansley ProfilePosted 9 hours ago
- Cavs Beat Writer Comes to Defense of Nerlens NoelPosted 10 hours ago
- Video: UK Commit Mike Edwards, Best Class in the NationPosted 11 hours ago
- Perry Central’s Justin Johnson and Braxton Beverly Ready for the Peach JamPosted 12 hours ago
- Kentucky Football Really is #1 in Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings NowPosted 1 day ago
- Derrick Kelly Commits to Play Football at KentuckyPosted 1 day ago
- John Calipari to be Inducted into New England Basketball Hall of FamePosted 1 day ago
- Kentucky Football Adds Twins to 2014 Class by Way of TransferPosted 1 day ago
- Nerlens Noel Still Favorite to Be #1 Pick According to SI.comPosted 1 day ago
- Henry Clay’s Christen Cunningham and Jordan Green Adjusting to New RolesPosted 1 day ago
Sean Woods Suspended For Conduct During Kentucky Game
Morehead State athletic director Brian Hutchinson suspended Woods on Friday after meeting with the coach. Associate Head Coach Dylan Howard will lead the Eagles against Norfolk State.
Quoting Morehead State Director of Athletics Brian Hutchinson
“Six months ago, we conducted a national search to identify the next coach, who, building on a foundation of rich men’s basketball history, would lead the Morehead State Eagles into the next era. Sean Woods, who had excelled as a student-athlete and recently led a relatively unknown program to the national stage, was selected and enthusiastically accepted that challenge. We were and remain excited about our choice.
“On Wednesday night, Morehead State took on the University of Kentucky in a hotly-contested and emotionally-charged contest at Rupp Arena. A lot was on the line for our team and they executed an aggressive, exciting style of play, one that our fans have witnessed throughout the initial stages of this season.
“We recognize that the young men in our basketball program are students first and athletes second. It is our expectation that our coaches are first teachers, who reflect the core values of the university which includes valuing the individual and treating people with respect. Near the end of the game, Coach Woods’ interaction with one of our student-athletes fell short of that value and was unacceptable.
“We believe Coach Woods, while remorseful, is not above reproach. Therefore, he will be suspended for Monday night’s game against Norfolk State. This will allow Coach Woods to consider his action and behavior, and allow him time to contemplate the appropriate way to conduct himself with his players and on the sideline.
“As we move beyond this incident, our focus will be on the continued development of each student-athlete and of a team capable of contending for an Ohio Valley Conference championship. This will be accomplished in an environment characterized by hard work, constructive criticism and mutual respect.”
Quoting Morehead State Head Men’s Basketball Coach Sean Woods
“My behavior during Wednesday night’s game was inappropriate and unacceptable. I am truly sorry.
“I value the opportunity I have been given as the head men’s basketball coach at Morehead State. I am passionate about the young men on our team and the opportunities we have together. I care for them deeply.
“I can assure our student-athletes, university community, alumni and fans that anything approaching this type of situation will not happen again.”
I’m not sure what meeting is worse. Meeting with the AD about the future of my job or meeting with Devon Atkinson’s mother. Coming home should always be a great experience, but between his pre-game comments and in-game conduct, this trip home was a nightmare for Woods.