- Video: First Take Backstage – Coach John CalipariPosted 40 mins ago
- Video: Coach Cal at Nets Draft Combine, Talks About Julius MaysPosted 2 hours ago
- Video: Q & A with Marquis TeaguePosted 2 hours ago
- Video: Cauley-Stein, One of the Better Players Coach Cal Has CoachedPosted 10 hours ago
- Coach Cal on Julius Mays’ Workout for NBAPosted 10 hours ago
- Kentucky Football Moves Up In Recruiting RankingsPosted 14 hours ago
- Anthony Davis Invited to Team USA Mini CampPosted 17 hours ago
- Video: Kid asks Marquis Teague “Did you get dunked on by LeBron James?”Posted 17 hours ago
- Athlon SEC Snapshot has Kentucky #1Posted 20 hours ago
- Video: This is My KentuckyPosted 22 hours ago
Nerlens Noel Named to Wayman Tisdale Midseason Watch List
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel is among 12 players announced by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) as a midseason candidate for the Wayman Tisdale Award, honoring the nation’s top freshman for the 2012-13 college basketball season on Thursday.
Noel leads the nation in blocks per game at 4.8. He ranks 14th in the country in steals (2.4) and 33rd in rebounding (9.3), leading the Wildcats in all three categories. The 6-10 freshman is also averaging 10.2 points and 9.3 rebounds per game.
Others named to the list are Jordan Adams, UCLA; Kyle Anderson, UCLA; Isaiah Austin, Baylor; Anthony Bennett, UNLV; Jahii Carson, Arizona State; Yogi Ferrell, Indiana; Ben McLemore, Kansas; Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA; Glenn Robinson III, Michigan; Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State; Nik Stauskas, Michigan.
Last season, Anthony Davis became the first Wildcat to win the USBWA’s Freshman of the Year award.
The USBWA has chosen a national Freshman of the Year since the 1988-89 season when LSU’s Chris Jackson was the recipient. This is the second year it is named for the late Wayman Tisdale who was a three-time USBWA All-American at the University of Oklahoma.