- Video: Derrick Ansley ProfilePosted 10 hours ago
- Cavs Beat Writer Comes to Defense of Nerlens NoelPosted 10 hours ago
- Video: UK Commit Mike Edwards, Best Class in the NationPosted 11 hours ago
- Perry Central’s Justin Johnson and Braxton Beverly Ready for the Peach JamPosted 12 hours ago
- Kentucky Football Really is #1 in Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings NowPosted 1 day ago
- Derrick Kelly Commits to Play Football at KentuckyPosted 1 day ago
- John Calipari to be Inducted into New England Basketball Hall of FamePosted 1 day ago
- Kentucky Football Adds Twins to 2014 Class by Way of TransferPosted 1 day ago
- Nerlens Noel Still Favorite to Be #1 Pick According to SI.comPosted 1 day ago
- Henry Clay’s Christen Cunningham and Jordan Green Adjusting to New RolesPosted 1 day ago
Kentucky Men’s Golf Finishes 10th at Mobile Bay Intercollegiate
Parker places tied for 16th in the Wildcats’ first tournament of the 2013 spring season.
MOBILE, Ala. – The University of Kentucky men’s golf team wrapped up its first tournament of the 2013 spring season with a 10th place finish out of 16 teams at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate in Mobile, Ala., at the Magnolia Grove Crossings Golf Course. Play resumed at 9:30 a.m. ET Tuesday morning, picking up where they left off on Monday, as the Wildcats shot 37-over-par for the 54-hole stroke-play tournament.
“A disappointing finish today for the Wildcats,” head coach Brian Craig said. “We just did not have it today but fought hard all the way until the last putt dropped. This is the first event of the spring and we definitely learned what we need to work on to improve going forward. This is a talented team and we will get better as we get more competitive rounds under our belts.”
Senior Chase Parker was the low finisher for UK, placing tied for 16th overall at 4-over-par. The Augusta, GA., native began the day tied for second and just one stroke off the lead through 11 holes in the second round, before completing the second round with a 1-under-par, 71. Parker recorded two birdies in the final round and carded a 3-over-par, 75 to finish 4-over for the invitational.
Junior transfer Ben Stow shot even par in round two, tallying three birdies and carded a 2-over-par, 74 in the final 18 to finish 6-over and tied for 27th for the event.
Junior Cody Martin recorded a 5-over-par, 77 in the second round, before finishing strong with a 1-over-par, 73 in round three. Martin was 13-over for the tournament and tied for 54th. Sophomore Will Bishop (+15) and junior Stephen Powers (+20) finished tied for 56th and 68th, respectively.
The 36-hole USA Individual Tournament also concluded on Tuesday at the Magnolia Grove Falls Golf Course in Mobile Ala. Senior Wildcat Joseph Barr placed tied for eighth at 7-over, while freshman Harrison Greenberry was tied for 11th at 9-over and junior Matthew Anderson was 32nd at 23-over.
The Wildcats return to action at the USF Invitational, March 3-4 in Tampa, Fla. For more information on the University of Kentucky men’s golf team please visit UKathletics.com and follow on twitter @UKMensGolf.
Mobile Bay Intercollegiate
Mobile, Ala. – Feb. 18-19
Magnolia Grove Crossings Golf Course
Par: 72 – Yardage: 7,212
T16. Chase Parker – 74 – 71 – 75 – 220 (+4)
T27. Ben Stow – 76 – 72 – 74 – 222 (+6)
T54. Cody Martin – 79 – 77 – 73 – 229 (+13)
T56. Will Bishop – 77 – 76 – 78 – 231 (+15)
T68. Stephen Powers – 78 – 80 – 78 – 236 (+20)
10. Kentucky – 305 – 296 – 300 – 901 (+37)
USA Individual Tournament
Mobile, Ala. – Feb. 18-19
Magnolia Grove Falls Golf Course
Par: 71 – Yardage: 7,158
T8. Joseph Barr – 73 – 76 – 149 (+7)
T11. Harrison Greenberry – 79 – 72 – 151 (+9)
32. Matthew Anderson – 83 – 82 – 165 (+23)