Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
No. 4/3 Louisville 80, Kentucky 77
December 29, 2012
Yum! Center – Louisville, Ky. (22,810)
– Kentucky falls to 8-4 while Louisville improves to 12-1.
– The Wildcats are 30-15 all-time against Louisville and 11-8 against the Cardinals in Louisville.
– Entering the game UK had won four-straight against Louisville and seven of the last nine.
– Today’s loss to Louisville is the first in the John Calipari era. Calipari had earned a 4-0 record in three seasons at the helm of the Kentucky program prior to today’s game.
– The Wildcats are 3-1 in games played in the Yum! Center including two wins in the NCAA Tournament a season ago.
– UK is now 172-75 all-time against schools comprising the Big East.
– Kentucky returns to action Wednesday, Jan. 2 when it plays host to the Eastern Michigan Eagles. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. ET and will be televised on ESPNU.
Team game notes
– The Wildcats used the starting combination of Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, Willie Cauley-Stein and Julius Mays. It marks the first time this season UK has used that starting combination.
– Freshman Alex Poythress was the first sub off the bench for UK. It is the first time Poythress was UK’s first sub of the game.
– Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 839 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
– The Wildcats trailed 36-28 at the half. It marked the fourth time this season UK has trailed at the end of the first half. Kentucky is 0-4 when trailing at the half this season.
– Kentucky won the battle of the boards by a 39-36 margin. UK falls to 7-2 on the season when out-rebounding opponents. It’s only other loss of the season when out-rebounding the opponent came against Baylor.
– UK snatched 39 rebounds in today’s game snapping a streak of five-straight games with 40 or more boards.
Individual game notes
#3 Nerlens Noel
– Had multiple steals and blocks in the same game for the sixth time this season.
– Posted eight rebounds and has logged six or more boards in every game this season.
#10 Archie Goodwin
– Scored in double-figures for the 11th time this season.
– Had a game-high 22 points and now has 20+ points in three games this year. His last 20-point effort game against LIU Brooklyn.
– Completed UK’s first four-point play this season.
– Made a career-high three 3-pointers.
#12 Ryan Harrow
– Has scored in double-figures in three straight games.
– Matched a career-high with five rebounds.
– Posted multiple assists in six-straight games.
– Had three assists and no turnovers and has now passed out 21 assists and just three total turnovers in UK’s last four games.
#15 Willie Cauley-Stein
– Received first start of the season.
– Has six games this season with seven or more rebounds including five of his last six games.
– Totaled three blocks and has seven games with multiple blocks this season including five of the last six outings.
#33 Kyle Wiltjer
– Has hit a 3-pointer in 11 of 12 games this season.
– Has four games this season with three or more 3-pointers and eight in his career.
– Has (9) 3-pointers in last three games.
– Scored in double-figures for the sixth time this season and the 11th time in his career.
#34 Julius Mays
– Played in his 100th career game.
– Hit his first 3-pointer since notching a 1-for-4 night from behind the arc against Portland.